Earth Day was on April 22, and it served as a good reminder that we can be environmentally conscious all year. To celebrate this, we're going to share some environmentally friendly options for your vehicle.
Run your vehicle on vegetable oil
One option you may not be aware of is running your car on vegetable oil. According to the Nature Conservancy, this is a good option to help reduce your carbon footprint, and you could even save money in the process. Restaurants generally have used vegetable oil they're willing to give away for free, which is much more affordable than paying $4 per gallon of gas at the pump. However, there are a few steps to take for making this switch:
- You need to warm your engine up for 15 minutes before switching to vegetable oil
- Your oil will need to be pre-filtered before use
- You need to get used to picking up oil as opposed to simply filling up your tank at the gas station
If you have no problem with the above inconveniences, running your vehicle on vegetable oil could be a good move.
Switch to a diesel engine
If a car running on vegetable oil isn't your thing, you may consider the switch to a diesel engine. According to Care2, some vehicles that run on diesel fuel can get more than 40 miles to the gallon, which makes these cars an eco-friendly alternative to traditional gas-run vehicles. The following are a couple of the best available diesel models:
- Audi A3 TDI – This luxury vehicle gets over 40 miles to the gallon, and produces 30 percent less CO2 emissions than a similar gasoline car.
- Mercedes-Benz BlueTec Hybrid – This diesel-engine vehicle is reported to get the equivalent of around 56 miles to the gallon. It also comes in a gas hybrid version.
Buy a hybrid vehicle
Hybrids are probably the most popular environmentally friendly car option. These vehicles are designed specifically to reduce CO2 emissions and improve fuel efficiency. However, they often cost more money, so you'll need to be willing to pay more than a traditional model to have the better gas mileage. Here are some of the best hybrid cars for your money:
- Toyota Prius – According to Cars.com, the Prius is one of the best hybrids you can buy. It can be had for around $21,000, and comes with superior gas mileage – near 50 mpgs on the highway.
- Honda Civic Hybrid – Another good hybrid option is the Civic. It costs more than the Prius – and is also smaller – but still boasts a fuel economy of 45 highway mpgs.
If you're purchasing a new vehicle to go green, don't forget about car insurance. Using the internet to secure cheap insurance quotes can help you save money. In fact, you may even be able to get a discount for driving a fuel-efficient vehicle.
Which environmentally friendly option would you choose for you car?