About the claims process
What to do after an accident
- Stay calm
- Move your vehicle out of the way of traffic and turn on your hazard warning lights
- Get medical help if anyone is injured
- Phone the police even if the accident is minor
- Discuss the accident with the police only
- Do not admit fault to anyone
- Gather information. Get the names, addresses, phone numbers, and auto insurance information of all parties involved. Be sure to get contact information from witnesses
- If you have a camera with you, take photos to document vehicle damage, the accident scene, skid marks, and any other features of the accident scene
- Report the incident to Elephant Insurance as soon as possible by using the online claims service or calling 1-877-218-7865
- Take reasonable steps to protect your vehicle from further damage
The Elephant claims process
Elephant Insurance understands the stress and inconvenience associated with a claim. Our auto insurance claims process is designed to be hassle-free so that you can get back to your normal activities as soon as possible. We want to settle your claim quickly and fairly.
You should first report all claims as soon as possible to Elephant by using the online claims service or calling 1-877-218-7865. A Customer Service Representative will collect the necessary information regarding the claim. This process should take approximately 15-20 minutes. Next a Claims Specialist qualified to handle your specific needs will be assigned to get to work on your claim right away.
Some steps the Claims Specialist will commonly follow to make sure we get all the facts about the incident include:
- Reviews your insurance policy and the coverage in effect for the loss to determine what types of damage or injuries are covered
- Attempts to speak with everyone involved in the incident – drivers, passengers, witnesses, etc – to get everyone’s account of the incident
- Conducts a detailed interview with each person involved when there are conflicting versions of what happened in the incident
- Gathers and reviews other relevant information such as the police report, applicable state and local traffic laws, photos of the scene and the vehicles involved and other available information
If your vehicle is damaged, your Claim Specialist will assist you in the repair process, including offering you a qualified shop in our Repair Assistance Program if you do not already have a repair shop in mind. Your Claim Specialist will be with you every step of the way to explain the process and answer your questions.
Repair assistance program
To make your claims experience as satisfying and hassle-free as possible, Elephant has created a Repair Assistance Program. This is offered as a free option to those customers who have not chosen a repair shop or do not know where they want their vehicle repaired. The repair facilities in this program have been pre-qualified to ensure they have state-of-the-art equipment and that their repair quality and standards are exceptional. Using this service brings the following benefits:
- Convenient locations nationwide
- Exceptional customer service
- Continuous status updates while your vehicle is being repaired
- Fast repairs
- Quality repairs
- Limited Lifetime Guarantee
If you already have a repair shop selected that is not a part of the Repair Assistance Program, Elephant will work with that repair facility to help you get back on the road as quickly as possible. The choice of who repairs your vehicle is always up to you. You are under no obligation to have the damages to your vehicle repaired. In many situations, Elephant can issue a settlement check directly to you for the damages to your vehicle.
Roadside assistance program
If you purchased Roadside Assistance Coverage with your policy you can call the number listed on your roadside assistance card 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A trained customer service representative will dispatch a roadside service professional to help you with the following:
- Tow of your disabled vehicle
- Flat tire change
- Battery jump start
- Emergency fuel and fluid delivery
- Locksmith services
Windshield and glass claims
Elephant has designed an express glass service to help you immediately resolve any windshield or glass only claim.
Simply go online or call 1-877-218-7865 to report a windshield or glass only claim. A trained Claims Specialist will schedule an appointment to have the damages either repaired or replaced.
Many windshield claims can be repaired. If you have the applicable coverage, and the damage to your windshield can be repaired, Elephant will not charge you your deductible.
You have the choice as to which glass repair shop does the work on your vehicle. If you do not have a repair facility in mind, Elephant has partnered with a network of glass repair shops to assist you in getting your car repaired as quickly as possible.
How claims affect your insurance premium
During the twelve months your policy is in force, your rate will not increase due to any claims filed. When your policy is up for renewal, we will assess your current rating factors and let you know what your new rate will be prior to the renewal date. Your rate may go up or down, depending on the many factors we use to calculate your premium.
Some of these factors include:
- Discount eligibility
- Your driving record
- The number of claims you have made in the past three years
- The number of “at fault” claims you have made in the past three years
- The extent of any damages which were covered