Tennessee auto insurance made easy
Switch to Elephant and you could save over $500*
Everyone knows the Volunteer State has a proud history of individuals with a go-getter spirit.
What isn’t as well-known is what’s required to legally drive in Tennessee, particularly when it comes to auto insurance. After all, there’s nothing voluntary about coverage: You have to have it if you want to drive Tennessee’s winding roads.
Fortunately, the rules that regulate the state’s highways and byways aren’t nearly as curvy. We’ve put together a basic overview of what you need to know regarding Tennessee auto insurance requirements, driving laws that are important to be aware of, and why Elephant Auto Insurance is your No. 1 source for high-quality protection and customer service that goes wherever your travels take you, be them from Jackson to Knoxville, or Nashville to Chattanooga.
Simply put, our mission is this: more care, less cost. It’s what we aim to provide our customers every day.
Testimonials may not reflect a typical customer experience. Products, rates, and discounts may vary by state, coverage or eligibility requirements.
See how easy it is to get a Tennessee quote with Elephant
The Elephant Auto Insurance difference is something you’ll discover almost immediately, but before that, you’ll need a quote. The process will take you only about 10 to 15 minutes at the most. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Your driver’s license.
- Vehicle specifics (model, make, year).
- Basic info on any accidents or moving violations you’ve had.
- How many vehicle mileage you drive in the average year.
More care. Less cost. That’s our mission at Elephant Auto Insurance striving to serve you and your family the best way possible.
Tennessee auto insurance discounts available to you
We offer Tennessee drivers many car insurance discounts to choose from, worth up to 40%* and can help you lower your auto insurance rates. Discounts include:
- Multi-vehicle discount
- Paid-in-full discount
- Online quote discount, worth up to 12%
- Early-bird discount
- Paperless account discount
- Responsible driver discount
- Good student discount
- And more!
At Elephant, we even give you the option of locking in your low rate for a year. We offer annual policies that last for 12 months, so you can have the peace of mind of a guaranteed rate.**
Save more with Bundling options & Diminishing Deductibles
By having a policy with Elephant, you also have the opportunity to bundle your auto insurance policies with others, such as homeowners, renters, life, or motorcycle insurance. We provide our policyholders with a multi-policy discount, making it easier for you to find affordable coverage for your apartment, home, condo, as well as your vehicle.
Elephant also offers additional services to help keep your premiums low. We provide accident forgiveness, roadside assistance, as well as our highly popular and unique Diminishing Deductible program.
Minimum Tennessee auto insurance requirements
Tennessee state law requires you to have a minimum amount of liability protection in the event you’re in an accident:
- $25,000 for each individual who is injured in an accident
- $50,000 per accident.
- $15,000 for any property damage sustained.
Just as you’re required to show your driver’s license when you’re pulled over or in an accident, establishing proof of auto insurance is also expected of you as a Tennessee resident and driver. As an Elephant policyholder, this is something that you can easily obtain. Your policy documents provide you with written corroboration that you’ve met all insurance requirements established by Tennessee law.
It’s a good idea to keep a hard copy of your insurance policy in the car, but you should also always keep copies of your ID card in each vehicle as well. With a policy from Elephant Auto Insurance, you can easily obtain your policy documents through your myElephant account.
Auto insurance coverage options for Tennessee
Elephant Auto Insurance also offers additional coverages to help protect you, your car, and others on the road.
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive coverage
- Uninsured/Underinsured motorist coverage
- Rental reimbursement coverage
- Loan/lease payoff coverage
For more information on additional coverages from Elephant, visit our coverage options page.
Filing your claim with Elephant is simple
If you’re in an accident, though, the claim filing process is very straightforward. Just go online with your mobile device or call us at 1-855-ELEPHANT and have the following information with you:
- Your policy account number.
- A basic rundown of how the incident took place.
- The police station that responded.
- The other party’s insurance details (if applicable).
- Where and when the incident occurred.
Additionally, to make sure your claims experience moves along as quickly as possible, Elephant has created a Repair Assistance Program to help you choose the best repair facilities in your region if your vehicle needs to be fixed due to damage. And, if you’ve signed up for our Roadside Assistance package, you’ll be able to use that 24 hours a day, seven days a week whenever and wherever you need it.
Important Tennessee driving laws to know about
Things might be different in Tennessee’s neighboring states, but so long as you’re within the Tennessee portion of the Mississippi Delta, there are some important laws to be mindful about:
- As of 2016, you must renew your license once every eight years; the rule had previously been every five years.
- Effective in 2016, a failure to wear a seatbelt will cost you $25, up from $10. If you’ve been cited for this violation before, the fine is $50.
- Passed in 2015, a failure to provide proof of insurance will result in a fine of $300, up from $100.
- If you’re pulled over for a violation and can’t corroborate your auto insurance coverage, police can authorize your vehicle to be towed.
- A failure to verify your auto insurance policy may result in registration suspension. Then, you may have to pay as much as $300 for it to be reinstated.
Have more questions about driving laws in Tennessee? Check out the Tenessee Driver Services, where you can find out more specifics around particular driving laws in your area.
Why Tennessee drivers should switch to Elephant
- We are on a mission to make auto insurance simple, easy to understand, and affordable for our customers.
- We’ve maintained an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
- Elephant offers simple policy management on any mobile device, online, or on the phone where a helpful agent will always be available to assist you, 24/7.
- We’re different: Elephant Auto Insurance serves you directly, avoiding unnecessary expenses to be able to pass more savings on to our customers. You can always count on our fully licensed, award-winning, and friendly team based in the US whenever you call us.
One of the biggest things that really separates us from the competition is our suite of services that help keep premiums low. Elephant Auto Insurance is one of the fastest growing insurers in the US since we pass our savings onto our policyholders. See why so many are joining the herd!
* National annual auto insurance savings based on comparison quotes for new customers that realized a savings when they switched to Elephant between 01/14 and 07/15.
** 12 month rate is an estimate based on the information you provided to us. Rate is subject to underwriting approval and changes made during the policy period.
This webpage is provided for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. Information last updated 05/22/16. Auto insurance underwritten by Elephant Insurance Company PO Box 5005, Glen Allen, VA 23058. Non-auto insurance products are placed by Elephant Insurance Services, LLC, with our list of preferred providers.
Fee schedule chart
|Fee name||Amount||When applied||Important info||Plan exempt from fee|
|Installment Fee||$7||Incurred on a per installment basis for select pay plans.||None.||Paid in Full.|
|Late Fee||$10||Applied 2 days after a payment has not been satisfied.||None.||Paid in Full.|
|Stop Payment Fee||$35||Applied to the account every time scheduled payment is stopped.||None||Paid in Full.|
|Reinstatement Fee||$10||Applied to the account in the event of a reinstatement.||This fee applies only to customer-requested reinstatements.||Paid in Full.|
|Same Day Bind Fee||$30||Applied to the account when policy is effective in same day as bind.||This fee applies only to initial bind of a policy or if policy is rewritten during a same day with policy lapse.||Paid in Full.|
|NSF Fee||$35||Applied immediately after a payment is attempted and fails.||None.||Paid in Full.|
|Recurring to Non-Recurring Pay Plan Change||$10||Applied during policy amendment for pay plan change.||None.||Paid in Full.|
|Referral to Debt Collection Agency||$20||Incurred when debt is forwarded to Collections.||None.||None.|
|SR-22 Fee||$75||Policy fee applied when submission of SR-22 Form is requested by policyholder.||If you feel that you may be liable to pay this fee, please contact DMV for verification.||None.|