Accident forgiveness insurance coverage
What is accident forgiveness?
Accident forgiveness is a coverage feature that you may be eligible for, which can be included in your car
insurance policy to prevent an increase in your premium due to an at-fault car accident. With some auto
insurance companies, like Elephant, this policy feature is automatically earned after a driver goes three
consecutive years without having an accident on their Elephant policy. This means there have been no
accidents for any driver on the policy, not just the primary policyholder.
How does accident forgiveness work?
After remaining accident-free for 3 years while you have an Elephant auto policy, you can have your next
at-fault accident waived from your policy. A waived accident won’t affect the premium with an accident
surcharge but will freeze a diminishing deductible if applied to the policy.
Only one accident is eligible to be waived per policy. Once an accident is waived, it stays waived until it
falls off after 3 years.
Example: Let’s say an Elephant customer starts their 6-month policy with us and goes accident-free for 3
years. A driver on their policy has an at-fault accident during their 7th term. The accident is waived from
their policy at the renewal of their 8th term and stays waived for 3 years before it falls off the record.
Benefits of accident forgiveness coverage
Accident forgiveness is a coverage feature that you may be eligible for that can be included in your car
insurance policy to prevent an increase in your premium following a car accident. Here are some of the
advantages of accident forgiveness on an auto insurance policy:
- Peace of mind: Accident forgiveness can give you peace of mind knowing that your insurance rates won’t increase due to an at-fault accident. This can be especially helpful if you have a good driving record.
- Retain good driver discounts: If you have accident forgiveness, you can retain good driver discounts even if you’re involved in an accident. This can save you a significant amount of money on your premiums.
What is Elephant’s upgraded accident forgiveness?
Instead of waiting more than 3 years for an accident waiver, you can now purchase Elephant’s upgraded accident
forgiveness that’ll start when your policy starts. Instead of waiting 3 years to have an accident forgiven,
you’re eligible to have one accident forgiven as soon as your policy begins. In order to qualify, there can’t
be any chargeable or non-chargeable accidents from the past 3 years for any driver on the policy.
How does the Elephant upgraded accident forgiveness work?
When you choose to add upgraded accident forgiveness you won’t have to wait three years to have the impact of
an accident waived, it will start when your policy starts. You’re able to have one accident forgiven at the
start of your policy. There can’t be any chargeable or non-chargeable accidents from the past 3 years for any
driver on the policy to qualify.
How can I add accident forgiveness to my auto insurance policy?
Most insurance companies offer accident forgiveness, including Elephant. Upgraded accident forgiveness is
enhanced in that it doesn’t require a waiting period to be applied. It can be added at the time a new policy
begins or at the renewal of an existing policy.
What is earned accident forgiveness?
Like accident forgiveness coverage, earned accident forgiveness prevents your rate from increasing due to a car
accident. Different car insurance companies may define accident forgiveness slightly differently, but in
general, it means not having an accident affect your rates after you have been with the company for a period
of time. Different rules may be applied. Elephant offers automatic accident forgiveness, upgraded accident forgiveness, and a claims-free discount.
Elephant upgraded accident forgiveness
Elephant’s upgraded accident forgiveness can be added at the start of a new policy and within 15 days of the
renewal of an existing policy.
Frequently asked questions about accident forgiveness
The following questions provide information about accident forgiveness insurance.
How to know if you have accident forgiveness?
Accident forgiveness insurance is often automatically added to your auto insurance policy once eligibility requirements have been met. It’s best to check with your insurance provider or review your insurance policy to confirm you have it.
To confirm that you have accident forgiveness or add Elephant’s upgraded accident forgiveness, you can review your policy documents at:
- Your account online
- The Elephant mobile app
- Call Elephant
- Chat at elephant.com
How much does insurance go up after an accident?
How much does upgraded accident forgiveness cost?
The cost of basic accident forgiveness and upgraded accident forgiveness car insurance varies depending on your insurance company, your driving record, and your state. At Elephant, accident forgiveness is included in your policy for free once eligibility requirements are met, and upgraded accident forgiveness costs around a small percentage of your total premium.
Is upgraded accident forgiveness worth it?
- Your driving record: If you have a clean driving record, you may qualify for and benefit from accident forgiveness. Upgraded accident forgiveness can be helpful for drivers with a history of safe driving who want the peace of mind of knowing that if an accident does occur, it will not cause their premium to skyrocket.
- Your insurance company: Some insurance companies offer accident forgiveness as a standard feature, while others may require you to purchase it as an add-on. If your insurance company offers accident forgiveness as a standard feature, you may benefit from it even if you have a clean driving record. However, if you have to purchase accident forgiveness as an add-on, you may want to weigh the cost against the potential benefits.
- Risky drivers on your policy: Even if you have a clean driving record and feel the risk of getting in an accident yourself is low, consider the other drivers on your policy. Upgraded accident forgiveness can lower the risk of an accident caused by another driver on your policy impacting your rates.
What do you do when you’re in an accident?
If you’ve been involved in an accident, the first step is to determine whether anyone in your vehicle has been hurt. If another car was involved, check on the other driver and any passengers. Use this guide to help you figure out the next steps to take after an accident.
- Stay calm.
- If your car is drivable, move your vehicle out of the way of traffic and turn on your hazard warning lights.
- Get medical help if anyone is injured.
- Call the police to report the accident even if the accident is minor.
- Answer questions the police may have and provide your driver’s license and insurance information. Ask for the name and badge number of all officers you speak to. Request a copy of the police report for your insurance company.
- Gather information. Get the names, addresses, phone numbers, and auto insurance information of all parties involved. Be sure to get contact information of any witnesses.
- If you have a camera with you, take photos to document vehicle damage, the accident scene, skid marks, and any other features of the accident scene.
- Regardless of who is at fault, it is a good idea to report the incident to your car insurance company. You can file a claim with Elephant Insurance through our Elephant mobile app, by using our online form, or by calling us.
- Take reasonable steps to protect your vehicle from further damage. If your car is not drivable, request roadside assistance.