Non-owner car insurance

Did you know that even if you don’t own a car, you may still need auto insurance?

What is non-owner car insurance?

Non-owner car insurance is a type of liability insurance for people who don’t own a car but may need auto insurance. It covers bodily injury and property damage claims if you are liable in an auto accident. Unlike a regular auto insurance policy that is assigned to a specific vehicle, non-owner car insurance policy typically doesn’t offer comprehensive or collision coverage. Therefore, it won’t cover damage to the car you’re driving or medical bills if your involved in an accident.

Non-owner car insurance is purchased on a per-person basis and will not cover a spouse, teen driver, or anyone else on the policy. Typically, a non-owner policy doesn’t have a deductible, so that means non out-of-pocket expense before your coverage begins. This is because non-owner insurance is a secondary coverage, used only if the primary car owner’s coverage isn’t enough to cover all the damages.


You got into an accident while driving a friend’s car, and your friend had $10,000 for property damage. If you caused $20,000 worth of damage, you would be responsible for the remaining $10,000 in damages. This amount would be covered by your non-owner’s policy, but only if it included at least $20,000 of property damage liability coverage.

State laws vary, but non-owner insurance doesn’t cover medical coverage for you in case of an accident. If the state requires that you to maintain insurance while carrying an SR-22 or FR-44, but you don’t own a car, a non-owner policy can help avoid a lapse in coverage. Non-owner policies can also be written for customers with suspended driver’s licenses.

Who needs non-owner car insurance?

If you already have a car insurance policy, you don’t need to purchase a non-owner policy.  However, you may want to purchase it if one or more of the following are true:

You frequently rent cars

If you rent vehicles often, a non-owner policy could be cheaper than buying rental car insurance over an extended period of time.

You borrow cars with minimal liability coverage

If you frequently borrow cars from friends or other people, you may want to purchase non-owner car insurance. You’ll have peace of mind if you get into an accident and the car owner’s insurance policy doesn’t have high enough limits to cover the cost of the accident. Contact one of our agents if you frequently borrow a car from someone you live with, as you may need to be added to their policy.

You sold your car, won’t drive for an extended period of time, and want to avoid a gap in your insurance coverage

Did you know that a lapse in coverage can result in higher insurance premiums? If you drop your premium and decide to purchase again at a later time, you may be seen as “high risk” and may have to pay higher rates. Since non-owner car insurance is typically less expensive than a traditional car insurance policy, it may make sense to stay covered if you expect to purchase a traditional policy in the future. Talk to one or our licensed agents to see if a non-owner policy is right for you.

You need SR-22 coverage or FR-44 because of a DUI or other serious traffic violation

Some states require drivers who have been convicted of a DUI or a DWI to maintain liability coverage even if they don’t own a car. Your insurance provider will file the SR-22 on your behalf once you purchase a non-owner insurance policy to help reinstate your driver’s license.

How do I purchase non-owner car insurance?

Elephant offers non-owner car insurance and it’s important to speak to an agent to find out what kind of what coverage is best for you. Log in to your online account to manage your coverages, or contact us to learn more.

View all coverages

Call to chat with an agent

Speak with an agent to discuss your coverages


Call now